Practice | Common and Proper Nouns
Email this page
Based on the lesson, use the correct form of the nouns given in parentheses. Make sure the word is capitalized correctly.
When you finish each item, click “Answer.”
Note. Your answers will not be submitted. When you leave this page, they will be deleted.
1. (child, doctor) When I was a , I wanted to be a .
When I was a child, I wanted to be a doctor.
2. (river, river) The Nile is the longest in the world.
The Nile River is the longest river in the world.
3. (doctor) I feel sick. I need to see Alvarez today.
I feel sick. I need to see Doctor Alvarez today.
Note. You usually write “Dr.” with a name as in “Dr. Alvarez”.
4. (prince charles, prince of wales) is also known as the .
Prince Charles is also known as the Prince of Wales.
5. (mom, dad, mr. smith) Hi, . I want you to meet my girlfriend’s , .
Hi, Mom. I want you to meet my girlfriend’s dad.
6. (dad, president, feather pillow) My friend’s is the of a company called .
My friend’s dad is the president of a company called Feather Pillow.
7. (bulding, building, city) The Empire State is a tall in New York .
The Empire State Building is a tall building in New York City.
8. (book, bishop, the big book of miracles) I’m reading a by Johnson. It’s called .
I’m reading a book by Bishop Johnson. It’s called Big Book of Miracles.
The name of the book is The Big Book of Miracles, so each content word must be capitalized.
9. (freudian) Most ideas about mental health are considered outdated today.
Most Freudian ideas about mental health are considered outdated today.
10. (tuesday, monday morning) I can’t see you on . Does work for you?
I can’t see you on Tuesday. Does Monday morning work for you?
Note. You capitalize the days of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc.) but not the time of day (morning, afternoon, evening, etc.).